Limestone Preservation & Care
Limestone absorbs liquids and easily stains, especially when acidic foods, come into contact with the stone. When we install your limestone countertops, Indoor City professionally applies a sealer to your tops upon installation. This sealer creates a barrier which helps to eliminate moisture penetration, prevent staining, and blocks bacteria growth. After that, limestone countertops should be sealed at least once a year to prevent staining. While no sealer is 100-percent effective at keeping stains from seeping into your limestone countertops, water-based sealants offer the most protection. Specific cleaning sprays that contain sealing properties may be used on a weekly or monthly basis for added protection.
- Do NOT cut directly on tops with knives or other tools.
- Do not drop or pound heavy or sharp items on surface.
- Avoid putting hot items on your counter tops as they may burn your sealer, making it susceptible to staining.
- Avoid exposing your granite and marble to oils, citric acids, oven cleaners, nail polish remover, or other similar solvents for long periods of time due to the possibility of staining.
Limestone countertops should never be cleaned with traditional kitchen cleaners. If you cannot find a cleaner designed specifically with limestone countertops with a cleaner that has a neutral pH or a mixture of warm water and mild detergent.
- For daily cleaning, only a mild, dish soap and water are required.
- Use a soft rag or washcloth, as a sponge can leave streaks or scratches on the surface.
- Clean spills immediately.
- Do NOT use bleach, vinegar, lemon juice, paint strippers, oven or drain cleaners or other cleaners containing acids or ammonia such as Windex. Avoid abrasive scouring pads, powders and liquids. These may dull the finish, damage the surface and be detrimental to the sealer.
- For a daily maintenance, we recommend Dupont’s Stone Tech products. The Revitalizer, available in spray and convenient wipes cleans, seals and cleans all in one.
Revitalizer, sealer and many more stone maintenance products are available at Indoor City.